Investor Immigration in Canada
The Federal Investor Program
The Federal Investor Program is not currently accepting any applications.
Quebec Immigrant Investor Program (QIIP)
The Quebec government recently announced they will re-open The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program on August 1, 2013.
- Applications will be accepted August 1-16, 2013.
- A cap limit of 1750 applications will be chosen by random draw.
- This maximum number of applications does not apply to you if you have an advanced intermediate level of French demonstrated by a standardized test.
- Applications can be submitted at any time if you have advanced intermediate knowledge of French demonstrated by a standardized test.
- A fee of $10,000 applies for review of your application for a Certificat de séléction du Québec; this fee covers your entire file, family members will not be required to pay additional fees.
In general, investor immigration works as follows: Applicants must have a minimum personal net worth of $ 1,600,000 CDN and invest a minimum of $ 800,000 CDN in the form of a loan to the Canadian government. The funds are managed by the government of Canada, and the investment is returned after five years without interest. The investment is handled by an approved financial intermediary, usually a Canadian bank.
The primary benefit of investor immigration is that the applicant does not have to establish and manage his or her own business. In addition, unlike entrepreneur immigrants, applicants under the investor program can obtain permanent resident status in Canada with no terms and conditions.
While obtaining investor immigration status in Canada offers many benefits to applicants, the legal process to obtain investor immigration status poses numerous challenges. The Canadian government will require proof that:
- You acquired your wealth legally
- You have paid all taxes in your country of origin
- Your net worth meets program requirements
The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program and the Federal Immigrant Investor Program are nearly identical in terms of investment criteria. However, in many cases, the Quebec Immigrant Investor program allows for faster processing. Because of this, the vast majority of immigrant investors opt to apply under the Quebec program, rather than the Federal program
Our lawyers have helped dozens of individuals and their families from around the world immigrate to Canada permanently through the investor class immigration program. We are skilled at resolving issues, and have a proven track record of successfully gaining approval for investor applicant clients. Contact our offices for more information regarding investor immigration.