What are your options for Canadian Business and Investor PNP?
British Columbia Strategic Projects
Provincial Nominee Program
The Strategic Projects stream is best suited for foreign corporations that have found strategic investment opportunities in British Columbia and wish to carry out activities that are essential to the development of their core business. This stream allows foreign corporations to permanently relocate key staff to British Columbia and apply for provincial nomination to support the permanent residence of up to five (5) current senior employees, who will manage the business in British Columbia.
Foreign corporations must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for this stream:
- Make an equity investment of at least CAD$500,000 towards the corporation’s operations in British Columbia;
- Establish a new or purchase and develop an eligible business in British Columbia;
- Create at least three (3) new full-time positions for Canadian citizens and/or permanent residents per each key staff member proposed.
Upon approval of the application, the corporation’s designated signing authority will be required to sign a Performance Agreement with the province of British Columbia.
In order to be eligible for the program, the foreign corporation must:
- Be well-established;
- Be in good financial standing;
- Have enough funds to make the required investment;
- Demonstrate capacity for international expansion into British Columbia;
- Provide significant economic benefit to the province through a high value investment.
Key Staff Member Eligibility
To be eligible to apply as key staff, Applicants must:
- Currently be senior employees of the foreign enterprise who have the necessary qualifications and expertise to establish and operate the business in British Columbia;
- In the operation in British Columbia, be hired in a permanent, full-time capacity in an executive or senior managerial position, or have specialized knowledge that is crucial to the prospective operation;
- Be offered a wage that is proportionate to their expertise and consistent with industry and corporate compensation structures.
Upon approval of the application, each key staff member will also be required to sign a Performance Agreement with the province of British Columbia.
Applications may be denied on the following grounds:
- Direct or indirect misrepresentation;
- If the type of business proposed is on the list of ineligible businesses;
- If the Applicant has a criminal record;
- If the Applicant is prohibited from entering Canada;
- If the Applicant has not been legally admitted into their current country of residence;
- If the Applicant is in Canada and is out of status or has been working without authorization;
- If the Applicant has an unresolved refugee claim in Canada or is under a removal order in or outside of Canada.
Acquiring a Work Permit and Permanent Residence
The Strategic Projects stream is a multi-step process requiring registration and application to the BC PNP first. Upon approval of the application, BC PNP will issue Applicants a work permit support letter which will allow the Applicants to apply for a work permit and begin implementing the business plan and making the required investments. Applicants must submit a completed arrival report form within 60 days of arriving in British Columbia.
Upon fulfilling the conditions stipulated in the Performance Agreement, the foreign corporation must submit a final report to demonstrate how the terms and conditions were met. If the determination is positive, key staff members who have also met the terms and conditions are nominated for permanent residence and may apply to IRCC to become permanent residents under the Provincial Nominee Class.
Application Processing Time
There are no set application processing times for this stream. Permanent residence application processing times for the Provincial Nominees Class are currently 15 to 19 months.