Find Your Solution, Expand Your Reach.
Residency by Investment
Located in the most south-western point of Europe, Portugal has one of the oldest borders in Europe and includes the Madeira and Azores archipelagos in the Atlantic Ocean. The country is located only a few hours away from other European capitals and boasts a phenomenal range of diverse landscapes and climates throughout the regions. Portugal’s fast-developing market and unique cultural heritage perfectly blends tradition and modernity, making it the ideal destination for opportunistic investors.
The Portugal Residency by Investment Program
The Residency by Investment Program, also known as the Golden Visa, is designed to attract Foreign Direct Investments to the country and offers Applicants and their dependents residency permits in Portugal.
Ways of Acquiring Citizenship
Applicants have three investment options available to obtain residency. The investment options include the following:
- The purchase of real estate property with a value of at least €500,000.
- The purchase of real estate property, where construction dates back more than 30 years or is located in urban regeneration areas designated for refurbishing for a value of at least €350,000.
For the options above, a 20% reduction to the minimum investment amount would be applied for property purchases in low density population areas.
- Capital transfer of at least €1 million.
- Capital transfer of at least €350,000 for investment in research activities.
- Capital transfer of at least €350,000 for acquisition of investment funds or venture capital funds dedicated to the capitalisation of companies where the maturity is at least five (5) years at the time of investment, and where at least 60% of the investment is in commercial companies with the head office located in national territory.
- Capital transfer of at least €350,000 for constitution or reinforcement of a commercial society with the head office located in the national territory, combined with the creation or maintenance of five (5) permanent jobs, for a minimum period of three (3) years.
- Capital transfer of at least €250,000 for investment in artistic output or supporting the arts or reconstruction/refurbishment of national heritage projects.
For investment through the creation of a minimum of ten (10) jobs, this requirement may be reduced by 20% (8 jobs) when created in low density population areas.
Holders of the Portuguese passport enjoy visa-free travel to approximately 184 international destinations. These include essential business hubs such as Hong Kong and Singapore, as well as any of the states of the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland.
Validity of the Passport
Passports are valid for five (5) years and must be re-applied for in person in particular Civil Registries or Departments of Citizen Cards. Overseas applications must be made in person at a consular authority such as an Embassy or Consulate.
Benefits of Portugal and the Residency by Investment Program
To be eligible to apply, the Principal Applicant must:
Applications will be denied on the following grounds:
International Organization Membership
Portugal is a member of the following international organizations:
610.31 million (2017)
GNI per Capita
$19,820 US (2017)
Euro. 1 € = 1.13 USD
Average all year round of 17°C – 26°C